Friday, November 8, 2013

102-1 英文讀書心得徵文比賽第三名 : 應外一 林O文

The Hunger Games

 By Suzanne Collins

  It was the last page of the book, but I refused to read the ending. I wanted the story to be continued. How was Katniss after winning the game? What about Peeta? Deeply put myself in the story, I held my breath and turned to the last page, as if I were Katniss, seizing every opportunity to survive.

  I could see the outline of the Capitol emerging in front of me. The crowd had their hands high in the air, cheering for the Tributes they supported. However, it was not a sport game. The twenty four Tributes from twelve different Regions had the same fate in the end—being killed. The only person was allowed to go home alive was the winner. In other words, the winner must kill all the other twenty three Tributes to end the game. Sadly, there were no winner left occasionally, for the challenges in the game was too tough.

  It was a strategy for Peeta to pretend that he love Katniss, and he was willing to sacrifice for his love. The story did touch the crowd form the Capitol. People wanted to see Peeta and Katniss fighting for the survival for each other. The stories alike could be romantic in our lives, but it was nothing but a brutal challenge in the game.

  From some imaginary screens, I saw Katniss fighting for her own survival. She had her bow and arrows, running through the forest, trying to escape from the enemies that intended to kill her. She hid herself in ponds, slept in trees, and struggled to find Peeta. Peeta was badly injured, dying somewhere in the furious forest. He failed to protect himself. Worst of all, he might get kill by other Tributes in any moment.

  When it came to the end of the game, there were two Tributes left—Katniss and Peeta. Since the crowd of the Capitol was so eager to see their romance, the designers changed the rule of the game. However, the rule was revised again later. The government found that their power was challenged by the young couples. They wanted only one winner instead of two. Katniss and Peeta decided to eat a kind of poisonous berry, for they didn’t want to kill each other. Meanwhile, the crowd from the Capitol would like to see both of them stay alive. Influenced by the crowd, the designer of the game changed the rule again in the end. The pretended lover survived and won the game, but the government was not happy to see this.

  What impressed me most was not the characters or the plot, but the will power of survival. Living in the concrete jungle, it’s pretty hard for me to imagine how difficult it could be to stay alive. Nevertheless, Katniss showed me how impossible it could be. A weird question came to me after reading the story. What if I were one of the characters in the book? Even worse, I was selected to be one of the Tributes. Although that was just an imaginary situation, I thought about it seriously. What if, I could possibly die tomorrow?
 
  I got the answer after reading the book for two or three times later. If I had to die young, I would like to share everything I own with others. Just as Katniss did before she was selected to be the Tribute, I would like to be the candle in the darkness. Providing the needed with hope and warm would be my core value of my life. For I may die young, I shall leave no regret in my life. I should love the ones that are worth loved. I should keep a positive attitude toward every challenge and depression as well. There are no reason for me to look down on anything or feel hopeless, since I must seize every opportunity to live as brightly as possible.


  Now, I breathe the air of freedom and safety, cherishing every moment I live. Even if I know I would not be selected as one of the Tributes, I try hard to share what I have with others. Looking at the bright side of everything and never quit, I refused to surrender to any challenge. Just as Katniss, I fight not only for myself, but also for the ones I love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment